November 20, 2014
Welcome to another Throwback Thursday post.
With Thanksgiving approaching I was thinking of my first race, the 2003 Bethesda YMCA Turkey Chase, and how much running has changed since then (even within the past couple of years). I thought it would be fun to share some of those observations/changes.
Remember When…..(Running Edition)
- Cotton was King.
- Races were timed by pulling off a piece of paper off your bib (I never figured out how they did that).
- A majority of races were chip timed (then D tag, then B tag).
- Marathonfoto would snail mail you race photo proofs.
- You would sign up for races via paper (that is how I registered for the 2007 Marine Corps Marathon).
- “Big Races” did not go through a lottery system or even sell out.
- Fanny packs were cool…..then not cool…..then made cool by running.
- Family and friends could not rely on runner tracking to spectate (I know some of you had to go by splits for Richmond this past weekend or during smaller races).
- There was life before a Garmin and all fun techy gadgets.
- You carried a Walkman or Discman for music.
I can’t imagine what races/running will be like in the next five years.
How has running/racing changed since you started?
What are your predictions for the future?