March 20, 2014
I’ve been craving chili for a few weeks and wanted to try a vegetarian version, just because! As you may know, DC has been hit with snow and sunshine within one week. On Sunday they were calling for snow the next day, so I thought it was the perfect time to make some chili. Luckily I had all the canned goods in my pantry and headed to Whole Foods to pick up the bell pepper and the veggie protein.
- 1-2 cans of black beans (depending on the size of your crock pot)
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatos
- 1 can of crushed tomoatoes
- 1 can of corn (sweet, white, yellow, up to you)
- 1/2 diced onion (I use frozen onions)
- 1 bell pepper (any color, I like the red variety)
- 3-4 teaspoons of chili powder (really to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 1-1.5 packages of veggie protein (depending on the size of your crock pot and preference)
My tower of canned goods!
Light life Gimme Lean Ground Sausage Style Veggie Protein. The packages are deceptively small, there is a lot of “ground meat” inside.
Stir fry the veggie protein and add in the diced onions.
Throw in the bell peppers… so pretty!
Transfer the protein mixture into the crockpot and add in your beans, corn, tomatos, salt and pepper, and chilli pepper (really anything you desire).
Let it cook on high for a few hours and you get this!
This was easy to make and little clean up involved.
What do you like to eat on cold days?
Do you have a favorite chilli or crockpot recipie?