April 25, 2014
“Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head” – BJ Thomas
As you may recall, I ran the LOVE Run Philadelphia Half Marathon about a month ago. It rained the entire race (a record breaking 3 inches) and it was definitely a learning experience! Below is one of my free race photos from that day (yeah I am that watch girl).
Prior to the race I did a quick Google search and tweet for running in the rain advice. Below are five tips that I found most useful:
1. Hat or visor – The brim will act as a barrier between the rain and your face. You will still get wet (especially if it is windy), but I was most pleased with this piece of gear.
2. Trash bag or disposable poncho – I wore a trashbag to the start (something you can do when it is chilly out as well) and discarded it before I ran (to the side of the road – I did not want anyone tripping over my bag). Some people wore their bags the entire race. If you look at my photo, the lady to my right had a disposable poncho – that was smart! Ponchos are usually roomy and clear enough to keep your bib visible.
3. Phone in a zip-lock bag – Nothing is worse than a soaked phone right? I put my phone in a small bag and I could still swipe. I may use this as it gets hotter as sweat + smartphones do not play nice.
4. Capris or tights – Capris are my go to bottoms. If I wore shorts, my legs probably would have chaffed. If I wore looser fitting pants, they may have soaked up the water and sag.
5. Vaseline or BodyGlide –This is one item I did not use that I wish I had! Vaseline or BodyGlide can help with chaffing. I had cuts from my heart rate monitor strap and bra due to the rain.
Do you have any tips for running in the rain?
Have you trained in the rain before?