March 14, 2014
Hello Friday! Can’t believe March is already half way over! Today I am linking up with Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia and this week’s theme is “races” – open ended and perfect! There are so many spring races coming up and I thought I would share my race recovery routine.
As you may all know, I run quite a lot of half marathons. When I ran my first half I was sore for days! After years of tinkering, strength training, and getting stronger, I rarely experience any soreness the day after my half marathons. Please note – this routine works for me, everyone recovers differently.
1. Continue Walking – After I finish a half, I continue to walk for another 15-30 minutes. I found sitting down immediately after a race caused my legs to tighten up.
2. Light Stretching – While I walk, I do some light stretching. My favorite is the butterfly squat to stretch the hip flexors and inner thighs.
3. Fuel Up – I usually have the banana and water the volunteers give out at the end of the race. I also enjoy chocolate flavored Zico coconut water as a recovery drink. It tastes like chocolate milk! Then i follow up with a yummy brunch!
4. Icing – After brunch and a nice shower, I ice my knees. I usually incorporate icing for any runs 10 miles or longer.
5. Foam Rolling – After icing, I foam roll my legs and back. I also foam roll everyday.
What is your post race routine?
What is your favorite post race food/drink?
PS – Good luck to everyone running RNRUSA, Shamrock, NYC 1/2 and any other races this weekend!