April 4, 2014
I am a bit of a foodie and one of my favorite things to do after a long race is go to brunch (no surprise if you read my recaps 🙂 ) I thought I would share my five favorite DC brunches (in no particular order):
1. Matchbox – the first Matchbox opened in Chinatown (they now have additional locations in DC/MD/VA/CA). Famous for their pizza, they are casual Americana and have delicious drinks. The Chinatown location is close to the finish line and opens at 10am (some restaurants in the area open at 11). They also have call ahead if you are unable to make a reservation.
2. Masa 14 – is located in the 14th / U Street area, about 2-3 miles from the finish. They offer Latin-Asian small plates designed for sharing. They have an all you can eat bottomless brunch for $35/person (the entire table would have to participate) or you can order a la carte. There is also a roofdeck.
3. Le Diplomate – is also located in the 14th / U Street area, about 2-3 miles from the finish. As you may guess, it is a French restaurant! Last week I went to their sister restaurant in Philly. Their bread and pastry basket is delicious! They have outdoor seating. If you do not have a reservation, expect to wait 1-2 hours.
4. Belga Cafe – is a Belgium restaurant located in the Eastern Market / Barracks Row neighborhoods. If you are a Top Chef fan, this is Chef Bart’s restaurant. I love their mussels and their traditional brunch menu items.
5. Cafe Saint-Ex – is one of the first neighborhood restaurants in the 14th / U Street location (here before the boom). They have standard brunch fare and a great outdoor dining space. This is on my list because I LOVE their chilaquiles.
What do you crave after a run?
Where do you like to eat post race?